Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

"Traditional" Thanksgiving?

Tonight was my first Thanksgiving away from home. Away from Boise, that is. We're saving our vacation time and money to go back for an extended visit for Christmas, and without family in the area, it seemed to make the most sense for us to stay at home and have a simple celebration this year. Which I thought I was OK with, until last week... being worried for my family back home ratcheted up my homesickness quite a bit. As did the fact that up until recently, it was still regularly 72 degrees and sunny. Where were the fall leaves? Where was the snow?

All that in mind, today has turned out to be a lovely day. And there are countless things I'm thankful for...

I'm thankful that it's finally started to feel like fall in SoCal, complete with colorful trees and chilly mornings.

I'm thankful for Trader Joe's, whose stock of fully cooked half-turkeys, microwavable stuffing, and boxed turkey gravy meant that we could approximate a traditional Thanksgiving even though we were only trying to feed a family of two.

I'm thankful for my mom, who kindly passed on recipes for most of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes, along with helpful tips on how to make them easier. (Yep, we went with pillsbury rolls and apple crisp this year, instead of homemade rolls & apple pie... and it still tasted delicious!)

I'm thankful for Drew, who helped me make today really special. Everything clearing off his "desk" so we could use it as a dinner table, and even getting out the wine goblets to pour our apple cider into. And he made a valiant effort at carving the turkey. Seriously, who knew it was so hard to slice one of those things??

I'm thankful for the new blog that my sister and I are going to start. More on that soon!

I'm thankful that my family still has a roof over their head and food on the table, despite the trouble. And that they're keeping their eye on the positive... my dad's planning on getting some skiing in during the un-crowded days, now that he's got the time.

I'm thankful for the fact that in only 3 weeks, I'll be home with my family again.

I'm thankful that 5 years ago on a snowy Thanksgiving, Drew first showed up at my house with an awkward smile; that 4 years ago we managed to admit that we cared for each other; that this holiday season marks one year that we've lived together with no major disasters.

I'm thankful for the little family that Drew and I have started to build, right here.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: